How do I become an international school educator?

When you have finished reading this post, here are a few links to learn more about international schools:


Here's what you'll need to become an international school teacher. . .


Four-year bachelor's degree or higher. 
- If bachelor's, must be in desired teaching area i.e., elementary education, science.
- If master's, in desired area of work i.e., school counseling, school leadership. If you have a master's in education, your bachelor's degree does not necessarily need to be education related.


- For example: Early Childhood to Grade 4, K-12 music, counseling, principal, etc.
- A candidate usually needs a B.Ed. or a teaching license from a Western country or from a respected international program. 


Usually between two and five years in relevant area i.e., teaching, counseling, school leadership. This experience could be in your home country or within other international schools. IB schools usually want someone with some IB training and experience.

Where do international school's market there available or potential positions?

Pick one or two of these recruitment agencies; each agency will vary in terms of cost to candidate.

- Search Associates (often referred to as just "Search")
- TIE online (The International Educator)
- Carney Sandoe & Associates (usually focused on placing principals and heads of schools)
- RSAcademics (board/trustee, headships, deputy heads, development and admissions/marketing senior leadership positions)
- Worldwide International Schools Hub (WISH)

Usually needed for candidate application:

- Extensive biographical information
- Resume (one or two pages)
- Photo (head and shoulders)
- Letters of recommendation / confidential references
- List of references
- Essay describing educational philosophy (passions, purpose, and pursuits related to education, reasons for teaching, counseling, leading, etc.)
- Police checks/criminal records (may only be requested upon receipt of offer letters)